Wellington Hall now offers our small-school advantages to high school students
Applications are open for admission into WHA’s Junior High – grades 9-10
Whether you want to learn from home or in-class, our Junior High has a learning solution for you.
Supported by WHA’s classroom coordinator, students in grades 9 and 10 will take courses online through Ontario Virtual High School. Learners in Junior High will have discussion groups, civic learning, and leadership opportunities both within the school and in the broader community. The specifics of the learning environment will be highly tailored to the cohort of students registered for Junior High.
Meet our Junior High Coordinator, Dr. Katie Kish. With a PhD in Social and Ecological Sustainability and experience teaching various levels, Dr. Kish brings a diverse interdisciplinary background to assist students in their studies. She demands the best of her students while encouraging strong community building.
All students from grades 9-10 are required to meet with Dr. Kish for an academic advising session before the beginning of each semester to create goals and choose courses – this will ensure a cohesive learning environment for everyone.
Grades 9-10 will have a designated space to do their online learning. Dr. Kish will support student online learning. Dr. Kish will take daily attendance of both online and in-person learners. She will hold students accountable to their deadlines and provide assistance for learning and assignments. She will also hold at least 1 daily seminar for all grades on a global-issues topic of the day.
Dr. Kish will support all students with:
- choosing the right courses each semester
- staying on task and moving through their programs
- organizing materials and tracking due dates and deadlines
- utilizing all assistance and features of their online programs
- developing small study groups where students can learn together
- maintaining a healthy classroom atmosphere
- working with students to determine how the class works best together
- coordinating group activities and extracurricular events
- leading daily learning seminars on rotating topics
- communicating with parents regarding attendance, student goals, and learning
Class times: Classes in Junior High run from 9am-12pm and 1pm-3pm M-F with specified periods of group discussions, determined on a week-by-week basis. Grade 9-10 students may choose to spend their lunch hour on or off campus. Students may arrive as early as 8am for quiet work time and socialization. After school care is available.
Junior High location: Junior High students will have a designated space within the existing WHA school.
Costs: $5000 for full year plus the cost of individual courses (~$500 per course with an average cost of $4000, depending how many courses the student takes) OR $3000 per semester, if you attend semester by semester plus the cost of individual courses.
Please see our FAQ for more information.
Applications for the 2020-2021 applications are now being accepted. Your application must include:
- A reference letter from a past teacher
- A reference letter from a character reference (coach, pastor, employer, etc)
- A short written essay on reasons for wanting to join the High School Hub
If you’d like more information, an application form, or a tour – contact us today!