Wellington Hall now offers our small-school advantages to high school students!
Registration is open for our High School Hub for e-learners.
How does it work?
Students attend WHA’s High School Hub (HSH) just as they would attend high school and take online courses through Ontario Virtual High School. HSH will provide a small-classroom environment with other e-learners who will be taking courses in the same subject. Dr. Kish will be the class coordinator. She will supervise, support the class as students work on their online courses, and hold at least 1 daily seminar on a rotating subject.
The Hub runs from 9am-12pm and 1pm-3pm M-F with specified periods of group discussions, determined on a week-by-week basis. Students may choose to spend their lunch hour at the Hub or off campus. Daily Attendance is recorded and enrichment activities are provided such as field trips and events. The HSH is a separate space from the WHA elementary school. It is located on the 2nd floor of the building.
The class coordinator will support students with:
- choosing the right courses each semester
- staying on task and moving through their programs
- organizing materials and tracking due dates and deadlines
- utilizing all assistance and features of their online programs
- developing small study groups where students can learn together
- maintaining a healthy classroom atmosphere
- working with students to determine how the class works best together
- coordinating group activities and extracurricular events
- leading daily learning seminars on rotating topics
- communicating with parents regarding attendance, student goals, and learning
Who is the right student for the High School Hub?
High School Hub students who:
- want to learn and are determined to complete their online programs
- are responsible and respectful so that the HSH classroom is a great place for everyone to learn
- are committed to attending class regularly and following class rules, just as they would in a traditional high school
- will work cooperatively with their fellow students and the class coordinator
- are willing to dress professionally (jeans and a polo) every day
How do parents/guardians fit in?
Parents and guardians have important responsibilities in making sure their children succeed at the High School Hub:
- providing the student with all materials needed for success – supplies, reference materials, computers, applications, headphones and other technology
- connecting with the online high school provider for student concerns that can’t be resolved by the student and the HSH class coordinator
- agreeing to Wellington Hall Academy guidelines and policies
- supporting HSH class activities
How do I apply?
Current Wellington Hall Academy students are automatically accepted into the HSH after the completion of grade 8. If you are not currently a graduating student from WHA you must apply to attend our HSH. Your application package should include:
- A reference letter from a past teacher
- A reference letter from a character reference (coach, pastor, employer, etc)
- A short written essay on reasons for wanting to join the High School Hub
Applications for the 2020-2021 sessions will be available on March 10
Once you’re accepted you will have an interview with Dr. Kish to choose your courses to ensure your success and cohesion in the classroom.
How much does it cost?
$5000 for full year plus the cost of individual courses (~$500 per course with an average cost of $4000, depending how many courses the student takes)
$3000 per semester, if you attend semester by semester